This is Me!

This is Me! The good, the bad, and the bald. You get it all! But I have hair now. This spring I'll be rockin the pixie.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Seeds!




I must confess that some years, my pumpkin carving enthusiasm is seriously lacking compared to that of an exuberant scrap booking mom. When the season rolls around and I have only one thing on my mind, THE SEEDS! I could do with out the glowing faces, fancy cuttings, and carved creations. Ya, they're fun, but really? It's all about the seeds.


This year we did pumpkin carving with our Home Group from church. This meant 14 pumpkins, opened, (with a power tool), scooped, scraped, and carved. It also meant a massive glop of pumpkin goobers to wade through for the treasured seeds. Yes, I did sift through every last ounce to get to the final seed. I am happy to report, the bounty was plentiful! and really pumpkin seeds are quite easy to make. Experiment with em too. That is how we ended up with the garlic.
After they have been pulled from the pumpkin, I rinse them off to remove a bit more of the goop. Then I put them in a bowl with water and garlic salt and let them soak over night.




The next day, I spread a thin layer on a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with salt or more garlic salt. Bake them low and slow. Set the oven to 250 and bake around 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Store them in a cool, airtight place.



Sadly, this season comes only once a year. Savor the seeds you get and then wait til next year to do it all over again. What a great seasonal treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment