This is Me!

This is Me! The good, the bad, and the bald. You get it all! But I have hair now. This spring I'll be rockin the pixie.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap


Are you looking to start the new year by not only trimming your waist line but trimming your expenses as well? Me too. On both accounts. One little trick I have is making my own laundry soap. I got this recipe last year from my sister-in-law and have been using it ever since. It is very easy to make and extremely econmical. All you need is Borax, Washing Soda, and FelsNaptha soap.


Things you will need to get started:
1 c. each Borax and Washing Soda
1 bar Fels Naptha, shredded

1- 5 gallon bucket with lid
5-8 cups of water to get started.

In a big pot, combine the above ingredients with the several cups of water. It isn't exact on the water. Stir over medium heat until all ingredients are mixed well. I find this takes about 10 - 15 minutes. Once it is melted and well combined, pour into the 5 gallon bucket and fill the rest of the way with water. Occasionaly it will set like with a jello like texture. I use my hand mixer and find this works really well to get it into the liquid state I want for washing.

I know several others of you that have made and used this soap so if you have any additional hints or suggestions, please post comments so we can all learn the new tricks.

Use 1 c. per load of wash. This year we got front loaders and I find we are only using about half that much so it is going even farther.












No comments:

Post a Comment